"pins and needles"

Momma pets me all the time... she jokes around with her friends that while my brother Charlie and I don't know many tricks like shake, paw and all those silly commands we know the most important ones: HUG and CUDDLE. Well, we were kind of forced into learning those commands. She hugs us nonstop and cuddles with us at night. Poppa is a huge cuddler too. Charlie loves to sleep around poppa and I love to give him morning kisses. It's a wonderful way to wake up.

Earlier last week... tuesday perhaps... Momma was doing her usual cuddling and petting session with me. She noticed a few lumps on my neck area. She wasn't too worried though, because I'm still really active, playing, being grumpy and pulling around my favorite blanket. Poppa came home and she told him what she had found. They decided to call the vet and see if I should be brought in. As much as I love my vets Dr. Pierce, Dr Pickard and the rest of the Centreville Animal Hospital crew... I only go there when I need shots or when I got neutered (don't want to talk about that) but the good thing is that they give me lots of treats, so I didn't make a big fuzz about it and went with the family on Thursday morning. Dr. felt around my neck and other parts of my body and said that it was either an infection or cancer (unlikely b/c I'm so young). They took some blood work and an aspirate of two lymph nodes. The results would be in the very next day. Momma immediately teared up and so did Poppa just at the thought of me being sick.

"Pins and Needles",is how my parents would describe the next 24 hours. Friday at noon they called with great news... blood work looked normal. Later at 6pm they called with the biopsy results... LYMPHOMA. Poppa was at the restaurant cooking and didn't want to tell mom until dinner service was over as she tends to be really dramatic. Boy, was that a good idea. High five Poppa! Poppa waited until dinner service was over and took mom home. On the walk to the car, momma looked at poppa and asked him if I was really alright. Poppa teared up and told her what I have... CANCER. Tears flowed non-stop, breathing was hard to do and images of my childhood flashed before their eyes. The drive home was the longest 2 minutes says Momma. They got home and hugged and cried while they held me. Boy, are my parents emotional creatures. They have no idea but this is a path that was chosen for me even before I was adopted by them. My purpose in life is to make them appreciate each day and each breath.

Comments

Popular Posts